PermaBlitz #3 was held at a 5 acre residence in lower Paradise, CA
We implemented several facets of a recently completed permaculture design for the PermaBlitz Host and site.
Wicking Bed –built a water conserving raised vegetable garden bed with small rock in a reservoir below the soil so plants literally wick up the water they need.
Lasagna Style Raised Beds -layered diverse nitrogen and carbon materials to create the foundation for healthy soil in 2 new raised beds. One bed was planted with ‘Black Beauty’ zucchini seed with the goal of saving seed for the Chico Seed Lending Library.
Tree Planting -showed the proper way to plant trees (using Asian pear and Autumn blaze maple trees) with mulch basins for water conservation.
Building Rocket Stoves -built efficient and hot burning rocket stoves which use small amounts of kindling/wood for fuel.
Citrus Tree Pruning –learned the best methods for pruning Citrus for optimal growth and health.
Permaculture Principles Applied
- Catch & Store Energy -use of water is low and highly efficient to grow food
- Integrate Rather than Segregate -outdoor sink water overflow moves to wicking bed, which overflows to mulch basin
- Design from Patterns to Details -layered pattern of readily available compostable materials to create soil for growing food
- Use Small Slow & Solutions -simple and effective method to create garden bed
- Obtain a Yield -growing trees for food and shade for house
- Observe & Interact -optimal placement for best effect
- Use & Value Renewable Resources & Services -small amounts of wood to cook/heat
- Apply Self-Regulation & Accept Feedback -highly efficient when used appropriately
Citrus Tree Pruning
- Produce No Waste -use pruning debris for lasagna bed
- Creatively Use & Respond to Change -utilize the gradual growth from small to large tree to best effect
PermaBlitzes are an education program of Earthshed Solutions. A PermaBlitz is about helping our neighborhoods become more edible and resilient one yard at a time by harnessing and building the power of community. Sign up for our newsletter or learn more here: https://earthshed.org/permablitz/