PermaBlitz #2 was held at an 8 acre rural residence in Butte Creek Canyon on October 15th from 10am-4pm.
We implemented several facets of a recently completed permaculture design for the PermaBlitz Host and site.
- Water & Contour: determine contour using an A-frame level to place straw wattles on slope
- Water & Swales: move and level an existing swale’s sill, create a diversion trench from swale as overflow to nearby fruit trees
- Vegetable Garden: renovate by raising part of a vegetable garden bed for easier senior access
- Medicinal Garden: add a rock border and plant a diverse palette of drought tolerant medicinal and edible plants
- Guild Build an Orchard: determine best function/aspect then plant a variety of plants for pollinators, mulch, fertility, weed barrier and more
- Build an outdoor sink station
- Build a tool organizer
- Plant a reused bathtub with root crops (ginger and turmeric)
- Make ollas and bury by established shrubs (forsythia and lilac)
- Make switchel and granola
- How rooftop rainwater connects to an existing swale
PermaBlitzes are an education program of Earthshed Solutions. A PermaBlitz is about helping our neighborhoods become more edible and resilient one yard at a time by harnessing and building the power of community. Learn more here: https://earthshed.org/permablitz/